Village Sklabiňa at Martin
The foothill village in the Turčianska basin in the western foothills of the Veľká Fatra Mountains. The first written record dates back to 1242 when it was a part of the Sklabiňa Castle, which was burnt out by the Germans during World War II. Sklabiňa was the centre of partisan movement in 1944. There were two partisan groups headed by A. Velička and V. Žingor. On August 21, 1944, on the house of Samčík family, was posted the Czechoslovak flag by the Revolutionary National Committee as a symbol of the first liberated village and the reinstatement of the Czechoslovak Republic. The village has an excellent location for hiking and cycling.